The Bates Method FAQ
Complete List of Questions
The following questions are commonly asked when a person first comes across the Method. More in-depth questions are covered in the Articles section.
- What is the Bates Method?
- Who was Dr Bates?
- What is Central Fixation?
- What is Strain?
- What is Relaxation?
- How does the method work?
- Do I need to strengthen my eye muscles?
- Do Optometrists teach the Bates Method?
- Where do Bates Teachers come from?
- How long does it take to learn?
- How much does it cost?
- Does the Bates Method work for everybody?
- Do I have to practise exercises every day?
- Does it become boring?
- What's wrong with using glasses?
- Do I have to stop wearing glasses?
- What about laser surgery?
- Isn’t it normal for sight to deteriorate as you grow older?
- Can the method help with eye diseases?
- What about lazy eyes and squints?
- Can the method be used with young children?
- Is the method only for people with poor sight?
- Will using computers harm the eyes?
- How can I find out more?
- What is Bates Method International?
Q. If one's arms become tired while palming, will a black silk handkerchief covering the eyes produce the same amount of
relaxation one gets from palming?
A. No. Palming is the best method for relaxation and improvement in vision. When tired of palming, the hands can be removed and the eyes kept closed until one feels relaxed.
W H Bates: Better Eyesight Magazines August 1922